As we all know, food is a very integral part of our lives. It nourishes us and we all enjoy it too. In the past few years, we have begun to think a lot more about where our food comes from. It doesn’t magically appear in the grocery store and has to be made somewhere. Years and years ago before the supermarkets, we either farmed our own food or be bought it from local farmers. Luckily the trend has come back to buying from farmers and now we have this great influx of local farmers markets.
We at Ledges Hotel love shopping local when available and encourage our guests to do so as well. Even in our restaurant, Glass, we try and use local ingredients when we can. In our area, we have some of the best farmers markets in PA. Let us show you some of our favorites that are just around the corner from us.
- Coutts Blueberry Farm Market– Of all of the farmers markets in PA, this one is the best when you want a sweet treat. Not only do they have the most delicious blueberries but they have other sweets too. These include honey and ice cream. They have on-site bees that make amazing honey. You can bring your own container in or buy a pre-packaged bottle of honey. However, most of us like to come there for their fantastic ice cream treats. They have 32 flavors of homemade ice cream to try, perfect for a summer day!
- Ritter’s Farm Markets– They are open daily from 9-6 and have two locations that are very convenient. They have different produce and products available all year round. Some examples are different kinds of fruit and vegetables, as well as blueberries. They also have flowers to brighten up your home as well as veggie plants so you can grow your own produce as well. If you are looking for a treat, they have an extensive bakery of pies, cookies, donuts, and more. Also, be on the look out for their events that happen throughout the year.
- Hawley Farmers Market– Open Fridays from 2pm to 5 pm from May until October, this PA farmers market is very convenient as it is located across the street from our own Settlers Hotel. You will be able to find a great selection of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as plants and other delicious goodies.
- Pocono Farmstand Nursery– Out of all of the farmers markets in PA, this one is the most all-inclusive. Inside you will be able to find almost any type of produce that you could want. In our area, you can find fruits and vegetables of all kinds. This farm stand is supplied by other local and Amish farms that are all over the region. Outside, you will be able to find all sorts of plants and hardscape for your home. They have an extensive garden center where you can find flowers as well as vegetable plants.
- Wayne County Farmers Market– The Wayne County Farmers Market is one that has been beloved by the community for years and is the oldest in the county. They are open on Saturdays from 9:30 to 1:30 and they usually have local vegetables, plants, clothing, and baked goods.
As you can see, there are so many ways to enjoy our farmers markets in PA. We highly encourage you to take your time while you are there, ask questions and learn more about the Pocono Mountain area. Our climate can yield some fantastic results when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables.
This activity is one of the many that are available here in our area for you to enjoy. Many other activities include hiking, biking, going on Lake Wallenpaupack, and so much more. The next time you think about coming to the Pocono Mountains, consider staying with us Ledges Hotel. Our scenic hotel overlooks a stunning gorge that is a great place to relax or have a delightful dinner at Glass. Inside, our modern rooms come in all shapes and sizes and perfect for travelers in any group. Our comfortable beds are topped with luxurious linens that will help you fall asleep quickly. Contact us today and start planning your next trip to the mountains!
Want to learn more about our area? Request your free Vacation Guide today!