When you visit Ledges Hotel in Hawley, PA and aren’t familiar with the area, you will find yourself at a loss on things to do outside of Hawley. One fantastic place we recommend to our guests for a quick day trip is to go across the border to Sullivan County, New York. This fun area is teeming with things to occupy your time, no matter how you like to spend it. Since not everyone likes to do the same things, we have come up with a few activities for everyone.
Places to visit:
1. If you want to see a show, the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is the place to go in Sullivan County, New York. They always have some sort of festival, show or exhibition going on. This fall through December 28th, one exhibition will have you nostalgic for the past. At the Corridor Gallery, the Remembering Woodstock: A Timeline of Reunions exhibit chronicles that iconic music festival on Yasgur’s Farm.
2. Need some peace and quiet in your life? Visit the Buddhist monks at the Blue Cliff Monastery. These brothers and sisters can teach you all about living in the moment and quieting your mind and enjoying the nature around you. Every week on Thursdays and Sundays, there is a Day of Mindfulness that you can participate in from 9:30-4 pm. While there you will listen to Dharma talks, go for a meditation walk as well as have a lovely meal with the monks.
1. Families and friends of all ages love spending a day outside at the Lake Superior State Park. The reason why is that it has so much to offer. You can rent a boat and fish, take to the woods and hunt or just laze around on one of the beaches and take a dip in the lake if you need to. Be sure to contact the park before you come to check their hours of operation.
2. While the name can be deceiving, The Basha Kill Wildlife Management Area is one of the most tranquil places in Sullivan County, New York. Kill is the Dutch word for stream so when you visit, be prepared to enjoy the local wildlife and surrounding wetlands.
Shopping in Sullivan County, New York:
1. When we visit a new place, we always love taking home a souvenir. One fun place to do this is at Domesticities & The Cutting Garden. This shop has a little bit of everything for everyone. Be sure to check out their antiques collection as well as locally made crafts. Feel free to create your own bouquet of flowers too from their extensive garden.
2. Who doesn’t love to go antiquing? You never know what kind of treasure you will find while you are out. One place to go in Sullivan County, New York is Town and Country Antiques. Multiple buyers load up this store to showcase some of the most interesting collectibles as well as decorator items at a reasonable price. Be sure to check out their website for seasonal hours of operation.
Places to Eat:
1. If you love Italian food, you have to try Albella Pizzeria & Restaurant. This restaurant not only cooks what you could find in any Italian kitchen but they strive to treat each guest like family as well. On their menu you will find staples like Shrimp Scampi, Baked Lasagne as well as pizza. Be sure to check out their hot and cold subs too.
2. The Heron in Narrowsburg is the place to go for amazing seafood. While not the only protein on the menu, you can also find a local chicken dish as well as Hangar steak and fries. Be sure to try their different mac and cheeses while you are there.
Living near such an amazing place like Sullivan County, New York will make you see why so many visitors love coming to the Pocono Mountains. This area is beautiful any time of year and there is always so much to do while you are here. Contact our fantastic staff today to book a luxurious weekend at Ledges Hotel and a fun day in Sullivan County, New York.
Photo by: Catskill Sales Associates